9 ways to reduce the chore of doing laundry
Laundry & Clothing Savings
by Donna Miller
Make Your Own Homemade Laundry Detergent
Colored Clothes and Cheap Laundry Detergents
Saving in the Laundry Room
Here are some tips that you may or may not know that are likely to save you time and money.
- Use less detergent than recommended. Often you won't need as much as the box recommends so play with the amounts.
- Make your own detergent for pennies. There are numerous recipes for this online. Everyone has a favorite.
- Learn stain removal tricks from getting out grease with flour to how long and in what to soak grass stains. A little extra effort can save money.
- Line dry. Four loads dried per week will save you over $100 a year! This also keeps the wear and tear down on the clothing. Where exactly do you think that lint in the dryer catcher comes from? It's from the items breaking down.
- Re-wear. Hang up and use again any clothing that is not actually soiled or smelly.
- Buy at thrift stores. This is especially good for children's clothing. They grow so fast that what you bought this month may not fit next month. This goes for shoes too!
- Have different sets of clothes. Have some you only wear around the house, some that are for nice events and others for the garden. You won't have to worry about the stains that don't come out of the items that don't matter.
- Learn to stitch and sew at least a little. Even just some slight alterations or mending can keep an article of clothing usable for quite a while.
- Cherish hand-me-downs. Save what one child outgrows for the next. If you don't have a next, maybe a friend, relative or neighbor does and also has an older child you can get hand-me-downs from!
Using these tips can help stretch the cost that is associated with clothing and caring for that clothing!
Reviewed September 2017
Donna Miller is an author, teacher and entrepreneur. Her favorite roles are that of wife and mother to three home-school graduates. The Millers own and operate Millers Grain House, which offers Organic and Chemical-free Whole Grains, Bosch Mixers, the NutriMill, instructional tutorials, recipes and more.
Take the Next Step:
- Spend less time and money doing your laundry. The Dollar Stretcher Frugal Laundry Guide can help you do both.
- Never overspend for store-bought cleaners again. Use The Dollar Stretcher's Guide to Homemade Cleaners to find frugal, effective recipes for keeping your entire house and laundry clean and fresh.
- Stop struggling to get ahead financially. Subscribe to our free weekly Surviving Tough Times newsletter aimed at helping you 'live better...for less'. Each issue features great ways to help you stretch your dollars and make the most of your resources. Subscribers get a copy of Are You Heading for Debt Trouble? A Simple Checklist And What You Can Do About It for FREE!
Share your thoughts about this article with the editor.