Replacing Door Weatherstripping

Dear NH,
I'm looking for bottom weatherstrip for my front door. It is 20 years old and worn out. My problem is that the metal clad door has one channel in the bottom of the door for the weather stripping to fit up into, not two channels as most of the replacements I see. Is it possible you know a supplier for such an item?
JS from Palmer, AK

Try contacting Aubuchon Hardware. They are online at They have bottom weatherstrips for Ceco, Johnson and Stanley doors. The problem is that they do not have graphics for the Johnson and Stanley doors. Perhaps one of them has the single channel you mention. I am unsure since I have rarely replaced them for anyone. Hopefully, they can help you either by email or over the phone. Phone is probably better since email is so sketchy these days! (Hooray for "800" phone numbers!)

Your other, less desirable (but probably workable) alternative is to install a generic weatherstrip on either the inside or outside of the door, depending on the height and width of your threshold and, of course, the height of the inside flooring or carpet. If the threshold isn't sufficiently raised to allow you to install a stationary weatherstrip, there are a few types that have automatic actuation. They raise up when you open the door and drop to press against the threshold when the door is closed.

Have a small home repair question for THE NATURAL HANDYMAN? Just click here For more home repair information, visit NH's growing list of original home repair articles and quality links If this information has been valuable to you, please consider making a small donation to support NH's free service to the home repair community! For more information, please visit our "Friends" page

The Natural Handyman Site Directory

Stay Connected with TDS

Little Luxuries

to the Dollar Stretcher newsletter and get a copy
of our ebook
Little Luxuries:
130 Ways to Live Better...For Less
for FREE!

Your Email:

View the TDS Privacy Policy.

Get Out of Debt