Time to call in an expert?
Corian Countertop Repair
The Natural Handyman
Quick Kitchen Transformations
Kitchen Remodeling On a Budget
Updating Your Kitchen
I have a 5-inch crack in my Corian countertop. How can I repair the crack?
CM from Wills Point, TX
Solid surface repair ("solid surface" is the generic name for solid resin composite countertops) is not an easy do-it-yourself project, primarily because repair materials are not readily available to consumers and there is a general lack of public information on repair techniques.
It is a shame, because skilled do-it-yourselfers should be able to do a great job on simple repairs. In fact, many woodworkers who have entered the solid surface installation business have found that solid surface machines very much like wood; many of the same tools and techniques are used.
There is a company that does offer repair materials. Art Specialties International sells Corian and Corian adhesives. Their market is to small fabricators or Corian bric-a-brac... but the adhesives used are the same as for countertops.
Both products on the page are used for Corian installations. I have not used either product, but I think that the Dupont Seam Sealer is the one you should try first. The "Wicking CA" is a cyanoacrylate... a close relative to super glue or "crazy" glue. Cyanoacryates are not designed to span gaps. Since a crack is a gap, you will not get much strength in your repair. The literature says it will work on two pieces that are clamped together. That is not the situation with most repairs.
The Dupont Seam Sealer is a two part epoxy, which will not only fill the crack but... if you are lucky with your color choice... will closely match the original countertop when done. This product is supposed to sand just like Corian, meaning that you can smooth it to the same finish you currently have by the use of fine sandpaper. Grades typically used on Corian are the following grits: 220, 300, 400, 600.
Calculator: Home equity loan vs line of credit
From my reading on the topic, a pro would use a random orbital sander with special disks designed for smoothing Corian.
updated November, 2013
Have a small home repair question for THE NATURAL HANDYMAN? Just click here NaturalHandyman.com/aitikia. For more home repair information, visit NH's growing list of original home repair articles and quality links NaturalHandyman.com. If this information has been valuable to you, please consider making a small donation to support NH's free service to the home repair community! For more information, please visit our "Friends" page NaturalHandyman.com/Friends.
The Natural Handyman Site Directory
- Home Repair Articles naturalhandyman.com/iip
- Home Repair Links Library naturalhandyman.com/linkslibrary
- NH's Bookshop naturalhandyman.com/bookshop
- Find a handyman at naturalhandyman.com/network
- Win unique home repair gifts and prizes at NaturalHandyman.com/Contest. Please read the important copyright and disclaimer information located at NaturalHandyman.com/Copyright.
Take the Next Step
- Could spending 5 minutes reading a newsletter twice a week save you time and money every day? Dollar Stretcher Tips readers think so. Subscribe and find out how many ideas stretch your day and your dollar! Subscribers get a copy of our ebook Little Luxuries: 130 Ways to Live Better...For Less for FREE.
- Home improvements can be costly. For many projects, we can help you save. Just visit the Home Improvement section of the Dollar Stretcher Library before you start that next project.