Conquering Your Credit Card Debt
The Dollar Stretcher.com 'Get Out of Debt' Course
Credit card debt can be crippling. So getting to a zero balance is important. We're going to help you do that. So let's get started!
There are two potential paths to reducing credit card balances. One is appropriate for people with good or excellent credit. The other is better suited for people with fair, poor or bad credit. What score qualifies as good?
- Excellent Credit: 750+
- Good Credit: 700-749
- Fair Credit: 650-699
- Poor Credit: 600-649
- Bad Credit: below 600
Don't know your credit score? It should be available online at your credit card account or printed statement. You can get your free score now at Credit Sesame.
If your credit score is over 700 you'll want to follow these steps to being debt-free.
If you credit score is under 700 you'll have two options.
Apply for credit counseling. If your credit card balance is $10,000 or more you may want to consider credit counseling. They'll attempt to get your credit card companies to stop charging late fees and reduce your rate. Use these guidelines to find out of you are a good candidate for credit counseling. Or you can see the agencies we trust and recommend.
Get professional advice. Sometimes a problem is too complicated to just google an answer. If your debt is serious enough that your credit score is being affected you're in one of those times. We advise readers to use the services of Debt.com. We've worked with the people responsible for it since 1998. You can learn more about them here. Or simply use the form below.
If you're really not sure where to start, send us an email describing your situation. Tell us the important elements and we'll try to point you in the right direction.
If you are working to get out of debt, our free weekly Surviving Tough Times newsletter can be a great tool. Each issue features great ways to help you stretch your dollars and make the most of your resources. Subscribe today! You can also like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter. We post tips and ideas daily to help you make extra cash and trim monthly expenses so you can free up additional money to put towards your debt.
Take Action Now:
- Find out if you are a good candidate for credit counseling. Don't put both your finances and credit score in further jeopardy.
- If you are not a good candidate for credit counseling and have good credit, these options can likely help you lower your credit card rate and pay off your debt more quickly.
- Or, if you think bankruptcy might be a better option for you, find out if you might be a good candidate for bankruptcy.
- Understand what the future may have in store for you if you decide not to do anything about your debt.
Get Further Debt Help:
- Lower your auto loan payment(s).
- Reduce your student loan payment(s).
- Reduce your housing expense.
- Get help with unpaid taxes.
- Start restoring your credit.
- Chart your financial future.
Share your thoughts with the editor.